The mission of iHoops is to establish a structure and develop programs to improve the quality of youth basketball in America in order to enhance the athletic, educational, and social experience of the participants.
1. Provide students and families with more information about the value of education, the collegiate recruiting process and eligibility rules, the values of the game and the importance of good citizenship by operating a robust website, iHoops.com with extensive resource information that covers these topics and by direct outreach to top rated high school players through the iHoops First Team program.
- Launch iHoops.com by the fall of 2009.
- Provide additional printed and video resource materials for youth basketball players and parents.
- Establish an enhanced First Team mentoring and outreach program for elite boys high school-age basketball players.
- Add a similar program for top girls basketball players.
2. Contribute to improved coaching of youth basketball players by establishing an on-line education and certification program for non-scholastic coaches for age groups 19 and under.
- Partner with the National Federation of State High School Associations in the development of the on-line curriculum and complete its development by the summer of 2010.
- Market the program through national youth organizations.
- Offer extensive and frequently refreshed coaching assistance tools through iHoops.com.
- Evaluate the development of off-line coaching clinic opportunities.
3. Promote continued improvement of travel and club team basketball with an emphasis on ensuring the health and welfare of youth players by establishing and promoting best practices.
- Develop best practices document with input from individuals and organizations involved in youth basketball.
- Seek commitment to the best practices from national youth organizations that sponsor the sport as well as athletic shoe and apparel companies and club and travel team operators.
4. Place a focus on the development of the skills needed to excel in the sport by focusing on it and promoting its importance in both on- and off-line programming.
- iHoops.com will regularly feature skill instruction and related drills by its launch.
- Develop a national skills competition for boys and girls ages 9-14.
- Develop an enhanced basketball component of the First Team program that includes skill development.
5. Contribute to the improvement and development of youth basketball officiating by offering an on-line program of education and certification.
- Provide officiating instructional content on iHoops.com.
- Develop and implement an online officiating certification course by the spring of 2011.
- Encourage youth organizations to adopt policies that encourage officials to be certified in order to be part of national tournaments.
- Consider development of off-line officiating clinics.
6. Establish a more unified set of key youth basketball stakeholders by offering participation and activation opportunities across the range of iHoops programming.
- Establish a national advisory committee that will provide input on iHoops programming consisting of key stakeholders in the sport.
- Complete activation agreements with select youth organizations.
- Seek input on specific program components by staging periodic meetings of select groups.
7. Promote youth participation in the sport in order to positively impact overall participation numbers through iHoops.com as well as targeted off-line programming.
- iHoops.com to contain entertaining and encouraging text and video content for players and parents beginning with its launch.
- Offer participation opportunities in iHoops National Skills competition.
- Work with national youth organizations to identify methods through which iHoops can contribute to increasing participation opportunities.
- Promote iHoops.com social networking tools to facilitate parents and players knowledge of participation opportunities.
Spalding is in the game for keeps. Dedicated to the sport-to the pure passion of it-nothing but our total commitment ever hits the courts and fields of play. No compromises. No flash. No hype. Just honest passion for pure play. Serious athletes know that nobody else is inside their game, or changing it with the newest technology available. Nobody but Spalding. That's exactly why the world's premier leagues and teams entrust Spalding with their equipment. Spalding "True to the Game"
About Connor Sport Court International
More athletic events are played on Connor Sport Court surfaces than on any other sports flooring in the world. Connor sports floors have established themselves as the standard for professional and collegiate sports since the company was founded in 1872. Sport Court® is a registered trade mark of Connor Sport Court International. Since 1974, it has identified the original and authentic modular sport surface, continuously improved and patented to provide the highest levels of quality and performance. Connor Sport Court is proud to be the only sports surfacing company in the world that is independently audited and verified as "Zero Waste" and fully ISO 9001:2008 certified. For more information on hardwood courts visit www.connorfloor.com. For more information on backyard game courts visit www.sportcourt.com.
Click here to sign up to receive the official USA Basketball newsletter!
- Clippers coach Rivers returns to Boston
- Clippers sign veteran swingman Jackson
- Bucks Neal out with left foot injury
- Bulls missing Noah, two other starters vs. Bucks
- Nets to start Williams; Pierce off bench
- Wade will play for Heat in showdown with Pacers
- Knicks' Chandler back to practice
- Knicks' Martin (ankle) out vs. Cavaliers