Instructional Videos From Top College and Pro Coaches
If you're going to learn how to play basketball, why not learn from the best minds in the game?
Thanks to Championship Productions, iHoops now has an inside look at how top college basketball programs are able to win every season.
Whatever the program, these videos break down different basketball drills, tips and plays that these elite coaches use to be consistent winners. They're now sharing their secrets with the world, so you too can understand how a great basketball team operates.
Since coach Mike Krzyzewski arrived in Durham, N.C. in 1980, the Duke Blue Devils have been one of college basketball's strongest programs. The Blue Devils won national championships in 1991, 1992, 2001 and 2010, and has had six national players of the year.
In these videos, the Blue Devils break down guard-specific tips and drills that have helped Duke All-Americans like Bobby Hurley, Jay Williams and Johnny Dawkins reach unprecedented success in college basketball.
- 2-Ball Dribbling Drills: Learn simple drills Duke uses to develop ball-handling skills with guards.
- 3 Shooting Drills for Around the Rim: Watch how Duke works on up-close shooting with these three drills, including the famous Mikan Drill.
- The Baseline Penetration Drill for Guards: Use this drill to simulate a baseline drive-and-kick that leads to open 3-point looks.
- 4 Fast-Break Options for Point Guards: Point guards in transition have several options once they get to the top of the key. If you want your guards to keep the ball, have them use one of these four moves to get points.
- 2-on-1 Fastbreak Defense Tips for Point Guards: If your point guard is the lone line of defense in a 2-on-1 fast break, use these tips to maximize the chance at a stop.
- 2 Transition Defense Drills for Point Guards: Try these drills used by Duke to better prepare your point guards for transition defense situations.
- The Drive-and-Kick With Duke University: Watch how Duke gets open perimeter shots with these drive-and-kick drills for guards.
- Half-Court Shooting Options for Guards: Duke University's coaching staff breaks down different scoring options guards can create in a half-court setting off a simple high ball screen.
- How Duke Sets Up 3-Pointers in Transition: Point guards leading a fastbreak can find open 3-pointers if they move properly. Here's how Duke practices the scenario to create 3-point opportunities.
- 2 Transition Finishing Drills for Guards: Need an easy practice drill for your guards? Here are two variations of a transition scoring drill that Duke uses to develop strong fastbreak play.
Led by longtime coach Tom Izzo, Michigan State has win six Big Ten conference titles since Izzo arrived in 1995. The Spartans have been to six Final Fours since 1999, adding to the tradition started by Magic Johnson's championship team in 1979. Izzo led the Spartans to their second national title in 2000, led by Mateen Cleaves.
In these videos, Izzo breaks down different coaching philosophies that have helped his team achieve sustained success in college basketball over the last 15 years.
- Michigan State's 1-3-1 Special Offense: Watch as Izzo breaks down one of his trusted plays for the zone offense.
- How Izzo Beats the Best Zone Defenses: The Spartans were forced to get creative when facing Syracuse's tough 2-3 zone defense. Here's a breakdown of plays they used to gain an edge.
- The 1-3-1 Double Offense: Watch as Izzo breaks down a "1-3-1 double" zone offense play that will open up four solid options for a perimeter passer.
- Izzo's Unorthodox Attack on Zone Defense: Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo shows his "Fist Down" offensive play that he used extensively in victories over zone-heavy Syracuse and Florida.
- Beating Defenses With the 1-3-1 Special: Izzo explains how a 1-3-1 zone offense can stay one step ahead of a zone defense with this video breakdown.
- Jump Ball Strategies With Tom Izzo: Michigan State puts a lot of strategy into jump balls. Find out the Spartans' secrets to making the opening tip count.
- Inbound Plays for Close Games: If your team is up late and inbounding the ball, keeping the defense from fouling is crucial. Here is how Michigan State gets easy points against an aggressive defense.
- Why Izzo Practices 4-on-5: It seems unfair, but Izzo breaks down why an outnumbered defense in practice leads to a lockdown defense in games.
- Defensive Anticipation Tips With Tom Izzo: Pick up tips from Izzo on how to better anticipate on defense--which could lead to game-changing turnovers.
- 2 Defensive Drills by Tom Izzo: Check out these two defensive drills used by Michigan State coach Tom Izzo to keep even the most active offenses at bay.
- The Shell Drill for Better Team Defense: Watch as Izzo dissects the 4-on-4 shell drill for defense, and learn how to incoporate it into your basketball practices.
- Defending the Pick-and-Roll: The pick-and-roll is used often in the NBA because it's hard to defend. Tom Izzo explains how he stops the pick-and-roll from being easy points.
Click here to sign up to receive the official USA Basketball newsletter!
Latest Message Board Threads
- Decrypt and watch Blu-ray movies on Galaxy NotePRO12.2
- Mac MXF to ProRes MOV Converter from multiple audio tracks
- Help converting Canon MXF from separate folder to multichannel ProRes
- Decrypt and convert DVD to ProRes422 MOV for FCP X/7/6?
- Solve converting MTS to Apple ProRes with only audio no video sync